Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Lessons



Oh piano keys..... I love and hate you so much.
I have always loved the sound of a piano and have wanted that sound in my house.

Ethan started lessons last November and I did in January. I have never had ANY musical instruction in my life. I knew nothing about notes, intervals, keys, etc. It has been a definite learning experience.
My piano teacher told me in the beginning that the hardest part of learning piano as an adult is it makes sense in your brain but to make your fingers do what they are supposed to is the trick. That is so true. I sit and stare and know what my fingers need to play but.... they just won't move as quickly :)
Ethan has taken to it amazingly well and where he practices for like ten minutes at the most each day I have to do at least 3 times that time and still feel so inadequate.
I still get nervous
playing for
the dog but I am learning and that is what counts -

Or at least that is what I keep telling myself.

I did not do this post to get courtesy encouragement but to put out a reminder to do whatever you want to in this life. Reach out and expand yourself (even though it is hard, frusterating, and definitely rewarding). It's never to late to try new things.

And if you have kids..... get them in piano lessons :)

4 comments:

David and Jana said...

Way to go Alisha!

valerie said...

Thanks for the reminder!! It was so nice to hear your encouraging words on Monday about our future plans. It meant a lot to me! So glad we are friends!!!

Jody Neeley said...

Good for you for learning a new thing! I took lessons when I was little, I keep saying one day I will take them again since I can't remember much! Emily is in piano right now and loves it.

Liz said...

I can't wait to get to a place where we can get a piano...I have a LOT of making up to do! It's great that you are doing it though...Lucky is a great audience I'm sure. :)