Saturday, November 29, 2008

Got Traditions?



Today we put up our Christmas stuff. Ethan and Lizzie have been so excited and it was the first thing out of their mouths once they woke up today- "Is it time to put up the Christmas stuff?". As we were putting decorations up they kept saying "Look at all this Christmas joy!" Which got me thinking of Christmas traditions. Here is a sampling of ours..... Would anyone like to share theirs?

  • Putting up our Christmas stuff the Saturday after Thanksgiving

  • Taking down our Christmas stuff as soon as Christmas is over. Well actually that is mine while Jim's is to leave it up as long as possible. I think he liked the fact that last year I was on bedrest after Christmas and couldn't touch anything. Jim's mom fulfilled my request when it was like January 7th or something.

  • Jim and I losing our patience trying to get a family photo to send in the Christmas cards :)

  • Jim and I give each of the kids a Caldecott book for Christmas. Our intention is once they are older and have a family of their own they will have a nice library of books.

  • My dad always reading Twas the Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve. He has done this for as long as I can remember and now does it for our kids.

New for this year-

  • Pajamas for the kids to open on Christmas Eve. I think we are the last to get on this bandwagon.

  • Requesting for Santa to only bring 3 main presents for each of the kids. Hopefully it will help to symbolize the three presents Jesus received and makes things much simpler with four kids. Of course Santa still fills the stockings.

I am sure we have more but that is all I can think of for now. The pictures are of Afton (do you like that old man hair style she has :) by the tree and our attempt at getting a cute picture of our four kids. I think this one is hilarious. The final cut will be in mailboxes soon.


4 comments:

Liz said...

I love the baby (not sure which one) staring at the tree, such a cute picture! We are trying to get our pictures out this week...can't imagine how long it'll take us once we have kids!

valerie said...

I'm with you when it comes to taking down Christmas stuff. It has to be done by Dec.26 at noon or I go crazy!! I love the idea of books. Might have to start that tradition. This year I MADE pajamas for the whole family. I'll let you know how that turns out!

Stacey said...

I've always loved the PJ tradition, but we certainly need more. Love the picture of Afton!

Jody Neeley said...

You guys have a lot of fun traditions! One of our traditions is that we read a Christmas book every night starting Dec 1st. At our family Christmas party growing up Santa always gave my sisters and I a Christmas book. We have continued it with our kids.