Friday, January 23, 2009

informational purposes

Since blogging is a way to share information.....

Anyone who has babies, kids, or interacts with any at least once a year (I need to include everyone) if you have time today make sure you update yourself on baby choking and CPR and adult choking and CPR. Here is a good website for infants


My sweet Afton today choked on some elbow macaroni. She has had it many times before with no incident but I think today got too greedy and put too many in her mouth. She could not breath at all, her face went bright, bright red and her eyes started to flutter and stayed shut longer than I would have liked. I whacked her on her back tilting her head down, tried to pry whatever was in there out with my finger. After many more whacks I thought maybe the feel of cold outside air might do something. I was still whacking her as I was walking outside and just a few seconds from calling 911. Something moved and my sweet little girl was breathing again.

It is one of those moments when your are pretty calm during it but afterwords shake too hard to do anything for a few minutes.
So I usually don't write posts like this but please just refresh yourself on choking and cpr. Just in case. I know I did afterwords because it made me realize how unprepared I am.

4 comments:

valerie said...

I am so glad she is ok!! We had a scare with Elizabeth last week and Brian was appalled that I had no idea what to do...He immediately gave me a class in what to do when children are choking. I'll check out the website to refresh things...

Nate, Jenny and Amelia said...

That is a great idea to brush up on CPR. I've taken classes but have the worst memory! I'm glad she is ok!

Jody Neeley said...

How scary! I am glad she is alright.

Darci said...

Oh my word!! My family is actually thinking of having my husband's friend come teach us all that stuff. You can come join us if you want to as well. We all, as parents, should be certified!