Thursday, March 27, 2008

Afton and Lilly

We would like to introduce the newest members of our family






Afton
March 25, 2008
4 lbs 14 oz.
18 inches long
7:23 P.M.











Lilly
March 25, 2008
3 lbs 9 oz
16 inches long
7:27 P.M.




We are so excited that they are here!!!














I am not sure if you can see in the handprint/ footprint picture but each of their hands is about the size of a AA battery. Their feet are about 3 quarters stacked on top of each other.
Here is the story of how they came into the world....... On Tuesday morning I had an ultrasound to check the growth of the babies. My doctor had told us that if the second baby was in the 10th percentile or less or would I be induced. Well the second baby was measuring less than 10%. I was sent down to labor and delivery being told that I am here to stay and my babies would be born today. I was just one day shy of making it to 35 weeks. Jim and I got to watch cable all day since my doctor was in surgery all day. We know a lot about Cash Cab, Dirtiest Jobs, How things are made, college basketball, etc. My doctor came about 5:30 P.M. and my water was broken for the first baby around 6:00. I was at a 10 by 7:00 and got wheeled to the operating room (just in case). I pushed through about 5 contractions for Afton and she was born and then about two pushes later Lilly was born. I know I am extremely lucky to have been able to deliver them both without a c-section

Babies are doing great. They are in NICU and will be there for a little while (Lilly will probably be there a little longer just because she is smaller). They are breathing on their own, are already trying to nurse, and are doing pretty good at keeping their body temperature. They do both have a NG tubes (nasal gastric) in their nose to help with their feeding. Afton has just a little bit of jaundice and today got to start tanning. Lilly is in a isolette thing just to help her body.
temperature. Afton has sandy brown hair that is actually kinda thick for my babies who are usually bald. Lilly has just a little bit of dark hair. Lilly is the fiesty one so far and kicks and moves around a lot more than her big sister. We will spending a lot of our time in the next few weeks up at the hospital.
Here is a picture of Afton with her eyes open.




Ethan and Lizzie can only look at pictures right now. Since it is RSV season still they won't allow kids in NICU. They seem excited and want to see the babies. I am doing well. I cannot express how amazing it is to be up and moving and walking around. Today I actually went to check the mail and when Lizzie wanted a hot dog, I was able to get it for her!!!! I will post more pictures later.

We are extremely humbled and grateful for how well everything has worked out. We still have a lot of stress and worry ahead of us but these babies are beautiful and amazing.

9 comments:

valerie said...

Congratulations Harrison Family!! We are so excited for Afton and Lily's arrival and so grateful to hear they are doing well.

Jody said...

We are so happy for you. One question- who's hand is in the picture with Lilly? Just so we can get the comparison right.
Can't wait to meet them. Good luck in the next couple of weeks. Now the real work begins.

Lisa said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you. I'm so glad that everything went so well for you and that you were able to carry them for so long! Twins are awesome!!!

Liz said...

Yay yay yay! The eye cream is coming!! :)

Darci said...

HOORAY! I love them! I can't wait to hold them and kiss them all over. They are beautiful (as are all your children). Congratulations :)

Ruth said...

woo hoo for babies!! They are even more beautiful in person! It was fun to see how feisty little Lilly is. Congratulations!

M. Harrison said...

Looking at Afton with her eyes open kind of looks like Jim, even though when we saw them in person I thought she looked more like Ethan and Alisha. Very cute,

From Steve

Becca said...

Wow! Congratulations! I know that things are going to be crazy for awhile, you are great parents and I can't wait to meet these little ones in person some time! Hang in there!!!

mary lynn said...

Hi Harrisons,

Afton and Lilly are beautiful girls. Please tell sweet Lizzie hello for me. I miss playing ball with her in Nursery. She's so grown up now. She and Ethan will have so much fun helping you with the babies!

Mary Lynn