Monday, January 9, 2012

Bedtime

I still read to all my kids at night.

It is something (most nights) I really enjoy doing. It is something I have done since Ethan was a baby and continued with each kid. Now with four kids it just takes more time.

I read to Afton and Lilly each night then put them to bed. They enjoy the simple books. You know picking the SAME book every night for like 2 weeks in a row :)

After I read to Afton and Lilly, I read to Ethan and Lizzie. They are into chapter books which is so much funner on my end to read.

Anyways, we are currently reading The Candy Shop Wars. The kids really enjoy it and I like it because we are able to compare it to situations in real life and how sometimes evil can look deceptively enticing and how honesty, courage and goodness are great qualities to have.



Last night we had a really good discussion about the book and things in life. One of those few moments as a parent when you realize you are having a positive impact on your children:)

I have to remember these little moments because most times I feel really inadequate.

*At no point in these scenarios does Jim avoid bedtime with the kids. He is usually the help get pajamas and help brush teeth person. He makes it a game which they really love.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Awesome! Good for you for continuing to do that. Those books sound like great ones to keep in mind. I'm sure bedtime with 4 kids is no easy task! Sounds like you have it DOWN. :)

valerie said...

That book has been sitting on my shelf for 4 years, and I have never read it...I guess it's time I brush it off and read it. I bet my Elizabeth would like it. I'll be following your great example as a mom!

Liz said...

I remember joining in reading Ethan "James and the Giant Peach" when he was just wee. Maybe that's why his bookshelf closely competes with mine already. Huzzah for consistency! :)